2014-15 PALAS TOP PERFORMERS STORY (1 of 5)...MARIA ATTARWALA, Medical Student at the University of the West Indies (UWI)....Attained 3.96/4.00 GPA, 18 CXC/CAPE Passes with 16 distinctions (Grade ones) & PALAS Gold Star Recipient (Finished first of 140 applicants)...She relates the witnessing, moment of her dad who died only two (2) minutes away from the Cornwall Regional Hospital in Mobay.

Maria Attarwala, Medical student at UWI &
PALAS Gold Star Winner (Top Performer)
Maria Attarwala is a resident of Hanover, Jamaica, she recently graduated from Montego Bay Community College (MBCC) with a 3.96/4.00 GPA. She has passes in 18 CXC/CAPE subjects with 16 distinctions (grade ones). Below is the essay that she submitted to the Peace and Love Academic Scholarship, Inc (PALAS) committee for evaluation to be considered for one of the sponsored scholarships. Maria wins a PALAS Gold Star Scholarship award by earning the highest score, 29 out of a possible 30 points....


She writes....


“Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.”
-Buddha

Growing up most children aspire to be doctors or lawyers, because society deems them as the ‘professions to be’. However, for me, throughout primary school I had no idea what I wanted to become. My parents Zujer Attarwala and Nadine Attarwala worked feverishly to provide for two sisters, Kimberly, Imani, and myself. They worked to ensure that we had no excuse not to be the best in whatever we chose to do. On August 20, 2007, Jamaica was facing a major hurricane and throughout this ordeal, my father received a major heart attack leaving him with only 33% heart functionality.

On the 17th of March of this year, he passed away as he began having severe breathing problems as of lately. On that bright Monday morning as he was taking my sister and I to school when he started experiencing severe shortness of breath, it later got too much to bear and he had to pull over on the highway. It was then my responsibility to get him to the hospital, however my efforts were futile as his pulse and breathing came to a stop only two (2) minutes away from the Cornwall Regional Hospital. Experiencing this calamity taught me valuable life lessons and led me to the realization that medicine is definitely the career in which I want to pursue. It has also made me realize that I have to work extremely hard to make my father proud and fulfill his dream for me of being the best at anything I pursue in this life.

 At Montego Bay High School it was either a mere coincidence or divine confirmation but from the September I started school onward, I have thrived in the sciences. I was not only successful in my CXC’s and first level of cape but I was awarded 3rd place for Biology Cape Unit One in Jamaica and placed on the Honour Roll at Montego Bay Community College. Through hard work and volunteerism, I am unequivocally certain that my career path leads to medicine. I have decided to do so by choosing the road into The Faculty of Medical Sciences at The University of the West Indies.  

If granted with this opportunity, I refuse to disappoint anyone and the institution who has entrusted their faith in me to change my life and the lives of many. The Peace and Love Academic Scholarship then take me one step closer in pursing my goal of becoming a cardiologist and then being able to join with my church's charity organization Hope World Wide and becoming a missionary worker being able to give back to the less fortunate of Jamaica and the world at large. Service to others is the best way to show appreciation for all the blessing that you have acquired in life as the great Albert Einstein once said “Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.” Helping others is my passion and I intend on spending the rest of my life doing so....

PALAS, 'Preserving Young Minds for Posterity'. Please help us to support these brilliant students by donating at www.PALAS1.org or Send a check to PALAS, P.O Box 5461, Alpharetta, GA 30023.


No comments:

Post a Comment