KINGSTON, JAMAICA (EXCELLENCE, Congrats ) : ROMAIN JONES, an 18-year-old graduate of Campion College, is Versan Educational Services' Top Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) performer for 2015. Romain who scores 2,220/2400 in SAT will be attending Ivy League School Columbia in NY...Jones said he got six scholarship offers and will major in Applied Mathematics

BY AINSWORTH MORRIS Career & Education writer editorial@jamaicaobserver.com  Sunday, June 14, 2015  
ROMAIN Jones, an 18-year-old graduate of Campion College, is Versan Educational Services' Top Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) performer for 2015.
The announcement was made on June 7 at a reception in honour of Jamaican students for whom the organisation was able to secure scholarships to attend Ivy League universities next school year.
Romain Jones and his mother Yvonne Cross
Jones' SAT score was 2,220 out of a possible 2,400.
"I am happy that I got a good score because you need a good SAT score to get into colleges abroad," said Jones, who will be attending Columbia University on a scholarship he was offered by the institution.
Speaking with the Jamaica Observer, Jones said he got six scholarship offers, but went for Columbia and its CP Davis Scholarship because it covered the bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics, which he is most in favour of.
"I chose this degree programme because I have had a passion for mathematics from a long time ago, so it was a natural fit for me to do a degree in mathematics," Jones said.
"I would like to become a professor. I feel that a job as a professor would allow me to pursue my intellectual capacities with the greatest freedom," he continued.
A group of students from Versan who were awarded
scholarships to attend Ivy League universities starting
next school year. (PHOTOS: ASHLI RANDALL)
Asked about opting for an overseas university as opposed to local ones, Jones explained: "I believe universities overseas offer more comprehensive degree packages with better internship opportunities. That's the main reason I went with Versan, doing SATs and applying for a university overseas. Additionally, I wanted to go overseas, get new opportunities outside of Jamaica and experience new cultures."
He graduated from Campion in 2014, but unlike some who "take the year off", Jones wasn't idle during the year.
"I used the time to read and practise for my SAT exams. Additionally, I was working with my physics teacher Bradley Burnett from Campion and I assisted with preparation for Campion's students for Jamaica Mathematics Olympiad in the last year," he said. more

No comments:

Post a Comment